Thursday, February 9, 2012

Fertility

Hi everyone,
Tomorrow I start my fertility treatments to extract my eggs.  I start my ACT chemo treatment the first week of March.  The ACT treatment stands for A-Adriamycin, C-Cytoxan, T-Taxol.  I’ll be receiving treatment for 4 months (once every 2 weeks) and that will be followed by a mastectomy instead of the radiation treatment. We (me, my family and the doctors) have decided this is the best option for me because of the high grade of the cancer and how fast it spread in less than 4 months.  I start the Letrozol for fertility tomorrow then I follow 2 days later with my stomach injections which are supposed to stimulate my ovaries so they can get 12 eggs in one extraction.  I do the injections for 12 days then we extract the eggs for freezing.  This is just to ensure that I can have children after my chemo.  There is a 50% chance the chemo will attack and kill my eggs and force me into early menopause which will make me infertile.  It will be interesting to see how well I do with this whole needle thing by myself. 
Ill post photos soon.  Just kidding J
Oh another thing, I saw another fertility doctor just to get a second opinion because this process is very expensive and a little invasive.  She sat me down in her office and discussed the extraction process.  Then she told me that my priorities have to change and number one on my new list should be to find a mate because I’m 31 and it’s better to freeze an embryo instead of an egg. She told me to think of the best way and location to find a good man because at my age they are all usually married so it will be hard to find. I didn’t blink when she was telling me this. I should have jumped out the window and I bet I wouldn’t have been the first one to do that.  After she was done with her speech I asked her if her fertility package included a free eHarmony or a match.com membership then I told her that I will not be needing her services......Thank you and good day!!! :-D
-Carina

1 comment:

  1. Oh funny. I can hear you saying that to the doctor. Love you girl.

    ReplyDelete